Friday, July 25, 2008

Dinner With Friends - caught in the rain

My friend Sarah and I have been visiting teacher* companions for 5 years now
(is that right Sarah?)
In that five years (or so) we have had many sisters that we visit taught. Some having new babies, some moving, some with illnesses, some with no problems or needs, and most recently we have a sister that is battling breast cancer. Last week was her first treatment of chemotherapy. Sarah had the great idea to bring her dinner. It was nice to sit and visit and just be there for our friend, eat, chat, (and melt in the heat - it was SO hot!
Gotta love the hot humid weather.)
After we left we stayed outside where it had cooled 10 degrees (rain storm coming in**) and our kids played for a little while. We captured some cute pictures of them.



*“The purposes of visiting teaching are to build caring relationships with each sister and to offer support, comfort, and friendship.” To accomplish those purposes, visiting teachers should:
  • 1. Visit each assigned sister regularly (where feasible, in her home every month).

  • 2. “Learn of the spiritual and temporal needs of the sister and her family.”

  • 3. “Offer appropriate assistance.”

  • 4. “Give spiritual instruction through a monthly message

~Silvia H. Allred, “Feed My Sheep,”

** while we were outside I Said "Oh rain must be coming" even though none was for casted. We were dog-sitting at the time. When we got home I had the great idea to take my kids for a walk. Miss A in the jogger, Miss M on a bike and Maggie on a leash. We headed out - a half an hour in it began to POUR! Lighting and thunder. SO I put Miss M in the jogger with Miss A - bike on top . It is not easy to run with a dog, bike on top of a stroller and in wet flip flops. But it was SO fun! And I think Miss A was about the only one that had a dry spot...

3 comments:

Sarah S said...

Yes! I think it has been 5 years - how crazy is that?? We've had such a diverse mix of women that we have visited too... we should make a list so we don't forget! Here - I'll rattle off the ones that are easily coming to my mind... (not in correct order either)

Sarah Hamilton
Ann Stone
Glenyse Metcalf
Heather Shull
Barbara Moore
Sarah Smith
Marion Schoessow
Erin Stone
Katrina Pierce

shoot I know there are lots more than this!! Who am I forgetting? It seems like there are some obvious ones that I can't think of right now.

Beckie said...

Katie Nelson
was her Name Angela (that is so bad that I can not remember - we would always meet at Panera)
then we had an inactive sister that we only had an address for...
Michelle Rutherford (I could never spell her last name)

Jenn said...

Eli & Miss M are SO cute together. I love the picture of them squatting with Eli smiling at Miss M!