Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Piano


Earlier this month R posted about her piano, "it is finally here", so this is just a follow up posting. This piano has a "pioneer" story of it's own, one that I asked R's mum (Corlyn) to write for us, especially since the piano was handed down from her mum to R. It is the cutest story:


The Piano

My story begins in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It was the heartfelt desire for me to be in a home where children's fingers would loving and excitedly tickle my keys. Oh, to hear that first attempt at Mozart Melody, "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." A dream for having me began in the heart of a young girl, Corlyn, as she beheld the beautiful French Provincial piano time and time again in the living room of her aunt, Irene. Corlyn desired that someday her children would delight in having piano lessons. Both she and I loved those early stages (and struggles) that come with learning.

My dream and Corlyn's dream took root in 1981 when she purchased me and I moved into her living room on Finger Road in Green Bay. I was so happy! Her children took lessons from Sister Case. After only three lessons, her eldest daughter entered a Stake-wide talent competition in Appleton, Wisconsin where she won first prize for playing "The Pink Panther" theme song. She was competing against many others who had had years of lessons. Wow! When I heard that all I could say was, "Yes!" That was my first triumph . How I loved it when she practiced. Her enthusiasm brought me such delight. While eventually, her son preferred the saxophone and daughter the flute, there interest in me waned. But Beckie, she was a champ. How well I remember her practicing over and over the song, "Green Gravel." She was so diligent. My owner, Corlyn, had a bit of trouble getting the timing right on her music, "Chariots of Fire." That was the first and last song she practiced. Sister Case had to stop giving lessons and there I sat.



In 1986 I found myself tied in a moving van and on my way to Nevada City, California. That was some trip. I bumped across prairies, over mountains, and finally rested in the living room of my new home on Red Dog Road. I wondered how I fared. But wonder of wonders! I was being tuned. That gives me tickling sensations and what a good feeling to know that my students will be able to learn correct pitch. I feel terrible when I am out of tune. How can I be of service when I sound flat? Beckie still loved to play me. She always composed beautiful left hand accompany to the right hand melody.

Now there were two new students. It was Ms. Breen who taught Beckie and Sarah and Jesica. I so wanted to have them play me for hours every day but maybe that was selfish of me. Then again that is my sole purpose and I am happiest when children's fingers are caressing my keys. It was Beckie who remained faithful to me. She would play for hours. How I happy I was when we made music together. Jesica also diligently practiced. Then one day there was a recital right in my living room. Ms. Breen played my keys while many kids sang or played instruments. Sarah now played the flute. Ms. Breen could really get the sound out of me. What a great feeling!
(Nevada City, CA)
Times changed and once again I found myself tied in a moving van and headed back over the twists and turns of highway 20, and over the mountain passes on I-80. I reached my destination in Utah. There I was brought out of the van and spent many a cold lonely night in a storage unit with boxes piled on and around me. I could feel that Corlyn missed me terribly. After all, her dream was dashed too. I missed being among children and even missed all the family pictures displayed above me. Two years was a long time to be alone. And now that I think of it, I was stored in Chico, California for two years. Wow! Those days were suffocating hot.

One day the shed door opened and men were pushing me outside and I was being loaded once again in a moving van. Where was my destination? Well, I found myself once again in a living room with family pictures above me in Salt Lake City, Utah. But where were the children? Those were lonely days. Time marched forward and one day in May the cover over my keys was raised and a beautiful little girl climbed on my bench and began playing me. How I adored that child! She wasn't with me for very long. I wondered where she went.

(Here is the piano in Salt Lake City)

Time marched on and I was moved to Sandy, Utah. The story is the same. A few more bumps and scratches and I am in a living room with family pictures above me. There are several of that brown-eyed beauty I heard called "Miss M;" the one I met in Salt Lake. Now she has a sister called Miss A and joy of joys - one October day Miss has climbed on my bench and is playing me. Miss A tries also. I love these beautiful girls. I don't want them to stop playing my keys. But they leave.

Oh, what is happening? I find myself strapped once again in a moving van. This ride is almost as long as the first. I am so cold and lonely. Where am I going? Well, the truck doors open and men are standing all around. By now I know the routine. I'll get more scratches. Wait! There is that Miss M again. Now I am resting very happily in her living room. And there is Beckie and little Miss A. They will love me and play wonderful songs on my keys. This is my family now, and I am thrilled! My story has a happy ending. I am now in my third generation of musicians and I am the luckiest!

(...as continued by K...) Thanks to the Elders (Adams and Stenger), neighbor Mark, and Unc, the piano is now sitting in our living room, it's new home until it's next trek somewhere in the world. Thanks to the recommendation of our friend, we had the piano tuned by Anika (www.precisionchicago.com) - thanks SOOOOO much!!! It sounds beautiful thanks to you!! If anyone needs to have their piano tuned, we would definitely recommend Anika!
Once it was tuned, she even played a little bit for us:




And Rebekeh even played a medley of church hymns, too!




Thanks Mum for the piano, and especially for the "pioneer story" that came with it. Miss A and Miss M already LOVE it and we will cherish it for years to come. I'm even inspired to take lessons, too! Give me a couple of years, or a couple of Groundhog Days like Bill Murray...

Here is the piano now, with new pictures hanging above it:

6 comments:

Lynsey said...

That is awesome! I love the pictures hanging above. It makes it seem like the heart of the home. I hope that you and the girls continue to give it many many years of enjoyment!

Beckie said...

hey, you gave up my secret that I fake play the piano!

I LOVE LOVE my piano!!!!!

Joe V. said...

Wow, that piano sounds amazing. Anika did a fantastic job.

Mostess Mommy said...

Aww, your mom's story of the piano actually made me cry! How cute to have your girls playing on it now!

Sarah S said...

I was going to say, K, did you tell B you were going to post that video?? :) She's been guarding that secret for a while now...

and B, you play beautifully!! your room looks terrific - the piano is gorgeous and the wall is too.

Lindsay said...

Rebekeh you play so well with no music...impressive!