Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Be Prepared


This is actually Keenan posting some important information we can all benefit from, and since I was a Boy Scout once upon a time, I've chosen the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared" as the title of this post.

I recently read a great article in Parenting magazine about being prepared in the event of an emergency. A friend of ours had a neat experience in which her husband required immediate medical attention, and in the midst of all the activity and without much time to think, she had the presence of mind to reach for her "Life Book." She handed it to to the paramedics who were very impressed with her preparation in her particular emergency. It contained all of the necessary information they needed to understand her husband's medical History, Allergies, and Medications (H.A.M.), along with other important information. Having this Life Book literally saved his Life, and it has encouraged me to do everything I can to "Be Prepared" in the event of an emergency. The article in Parenting magazine highlights a number of important things to "do before disaster strikes." I particularly liked and wanted to share the link to a website that has forms for adults and children - they are perfect for keeping personal health records of every family member. You can fill out the forms digitally, then save it to your hard drive or memory stick, or print and fill out the forms. Once I've completed all the information I possibly can (this requires help/information from Rebekeh, so you should also consider sitting down with your spouse and/or children and do it together), I plan to put them all into clear sheet protectors and then into a binder/folder which will become our family "Life Book."


Thanks again to our dear friend for the inspiration! Also, here is another great link to another important information form that should also be kept in your "Life Book" or somewhere else safe in the event of an emergency. I used this "EFFAK - Emergency Financial First Aid Kit" at an Emergency Preparedness Fair a few years ago, and have always felt the need to share it with others! Back then, I didn't even know what a blog was. But now I can share it with friends and family. Just like the safety demonstration we Flight Attendants perform on every flight, "IT'S BETTER TO KNOW IT AND NOT NEED IT, THAN NEED IT AND NOT KNOW IT!"
So do yourself and your loved ones a favor and Be Prepared! Check out these links/websites/forms, and take the time to DO IT. One day you'll be glad you did. A worthwhile investment of a few minutes of your life. Also, if you have any additional information, links, websites that you have found useful or helpful, please share it.

1 comment:

Beckie said...

hooray k for doing a post!!!